Pages

22 March 2006

But I Thought I Hated Ivy League Pretentiousness?

If you look to the right side of the page you will see a link to something called SaveTheBookstore.org, why? Because you see Heidi works there and the University honchos don't want to spend the money need to improve the the facility, so they want to lease out the building and the name to Barnes & Noble.
Now most people who know me will say, but I thought you liked corporation capitalism?
I do, but this is not the place for it.
College bookstores are not just there to turn profits, especially when said bookstore is the only large scale independent bookstore in the area.
Now I love Borders, I shop there all the time, and I haven't bought as many books from Brown recently as I used to, but that has more to do with the things that need to be fixed, not the store itself.
Too many old books are on the shelves leaving them no room for newer books.
The space is cramped because the building need renovations.
These are things that the University should fix, not sell off to a corporation that doesn't give a rat's hairy.
So if you like independent bookstores log on and sing up.
If you don't go away.

No comments: