Pages

14 June 2005

Fame, Celebrity And The Future

My God!
That is all I can say now, one day after 12 regular people sided with the Famous One and not the Angry One in that California courtroom. There are friends of mine who heard more yesterday, but today...

And yet I don't know why I'm surprised. Fame has its privileges and fame is the name of the new American game. Think about it, when was the last time Michael Jackson recorded anything you wanted to hear? When was the last time Robert Blake was on any kind of screen without an under-employed lawyer telling you what it all means.
People are famous just for being famous, one case in point Paris Hilton.
Now the lure of fame is just getting worse out there, need proof how about this list of the Top 25 in the Discovery Channel's 100 Greatest Americans. (cap tip Cass at VC)
OH MY GOD! There may be a half dozen people on this list who should be considered GREAT, the rest are just famous. And there are people (Hope and Einstein) who aren't even AMERICANS (yes I know Bob Hope did a lot for the troops and loved this country but...).
Okay I realize that I may be over reacting, but fame and greatness aren't even the same type of measurements, look ate who is on this last and look at the people who made the Top 100, there are so many useless famous people on both lists, while Greatness is diluted to include Bill Clinton???!!!??? Need I say more.

Think about this and if you have anything to say get back to me.

No comments: