Pages

21 November 2005

The War On Christmas

I know that smarter and more widely read people are tackling this issue, but I have some observations that I need to make.

I recently purchased a new printing of C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles Of Narnia. On the front of the Christian allegorical stories is a little sticker. This sticker is an advertisement for the upcomming movie version of the first book. A movie that is due out "HOLIDAY 2005"!!!
WTF. How messed up is this country when a Christian inspired movie is advertised as not a Christmas film, but a Holiday film?
I mean one of the recurring phrases in the first story is how The White Witch has made Narnia a place where it is always winter, but Christmas never comes. I feel like a Narnian waiting for Alsan to bring back Spring.

Secondly the local birdcage liner for years had a community service called The Santa Claus Fund. Well that is just taboo now, so we have a Holiday Hope Fund.
So let me get this straight, Santa Claus, whom the SCOTUS has decided is the perfect balance to a Nativity Scene on public property, is TOO RELIGIOUS for a name on a fund that helps people in need during the winter in SouthEastern New England.

That thumping sound you hear is me banging my head on the desk.

The Culture Wars Are Lost.

No comments: